Re: [TR] Advice on high compression head

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Advice on high compression head
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2021 20:35:41 -0400

--------------88DDB8F9E0BA84D4F6919083

ditto. Validate the issue with minimal work

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler
ptegler@verizon.net  www.teglerizer.com

--------------88DDB8F9E0BA84D4F6919083

  <head>
  </head>
      cite="mid:a4bd6fa6-4f60-f30e-94ba-7a6d862160fe@porterscustom.com">
        2801<br>
        wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CAFtw3aYweWOc=4kry-Bi7TKCB_oCRy_+f=3-32ozA+GyVfH+QA@mail.gmail.com">
          charset=UTF-8">
          lower the compression ratio a bit by reshaping the combustion
          chamber.  This is theoretically, I don't know how much can be
          removed, Kastner book would be a starting point, but you would
          probably want to take out more than that, measure combustion
          chamber size, etc.</div>
            Dave Connitt &lt;<a href="mailto:dconnitt@fuse.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true">dconnitt@fuse.net</a>&gt; wrote:<br>
            .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex">
                engines to increase compression. In Kas Kastnerâ??s
                TR4/TR4A competition preparation manual, he goes into
                much detail about how to reshape the combustion chambers
                in the head to reduce/eliminate â??hot spotsâ??. This may be
                the cause of your pre-ignition. Yoy may want to get that
                book and read over his cylinder head chapter. Regarding
                the push rod length, the length reduction is directly
                related to how much material is removed from the head so
                just buying shortened pushrods wonâ??t get you the best
                results. I think you should figure out how much material
                was removed from the â??stockâ?? head and shorten the
                pushrods accordingly. </div>
                need to do some homework reading over Kasâ??s competition
                prep manual and find a good automotive machinist for the
                pushrods.</div>
                    DAVID MASSEY &lt;<a href="mailto:dave1massey@cs.com";
                      target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                      moz-do-not-send="true">dave1massey@cs.com</a>&gt;
                    wrote:<br>
                      Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">
                          my TR3 for the same reason.  But the right way
                          is to get a machinist to shorten the
                          pushrods.  BPNW sells short rods for the
                          TR6/SC engine but at that time they didn't
                          have any for the wet-sleeve engine.</font><br>

style="font-family:arial,helvetica;font-size:10pt;color:black"><font
                          size="2">-----Original Message-----<br>
                          From: Cliff Hansen &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:cliff_hansen@outlook.com";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">cliff_hansen@outlook.com</a>&gt;<br>
                          To: list Triumph &lt;<a
                            href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>&gt;<br>
                          Sent: Wed, Apr 7, 2021 4:23 pm<br>
                          Subject: [TR] Advice on high compression head<br>
                                  with this 4A cylinder headâ?? has
                                  developed a new plot twist.</div>
                                  3.21â?? from bottom to the surface for
                                  the valve cover gasket. Stock is 3.330
                                  (if I got the number correctly). Some
                                  PO cut 0.11 off, because only 0.010â??
                                  was removed in this round of clean up.
                                  Now I can see an explanation for the
                                  persistent pinging Iâ??ve dealt with
                                  over the last few years (head has been
                                  milled so compression is high,
                                  material near intake valves has been
                                  thinned, increasing likelihood of hot
                                  spots â?? Iâ??m getting this from
                                  Kastnerâ??s preparation book), which I
                                  had thought was due to leaking
                                  intakes, carb shafts, or operating at
                                  higher altitude.</div>
                                  because there is not enough slack in
                                  the valve train to give 0.010â??
                                  clearance on several valves. I didnâ??t
                                  notice before, but now that I am
                                  looking, all the valve adjusters were
                                  nearly backed out all the way.</div>
                                  is there any reasonable way to use
                                  this head?</div>
                                  but donâ??t see any reasonable way to
                                  accomplish that. I called GasketWorks
                                  and he gently discouraged me from
                                  getting a custom thick head gasket,
                                  saying instead Iâ??d be better off
                                  finding a head which had not been
                                  milled so much. </div>
                                  get valve clearance feels like a
                                  bandaid which certainly wonâ??t address
                                  the pinging (assuming that the pinging
                                  is a result of the shortened head).</div>
                                  way forward.</div>
                                    noopener noreferrer noreferrer"

href="https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986";
                                    target="_blank"
                                    moz-do-not-send="true"> Mail</a> for
                                  Windows 10</div>
                          ** <a href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                            moz-do-not-send="true">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
                          **<br>
                          Donate: <a
                            href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
                          Archive: <a
                            href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs
                          </a> <a href="http://www.team.net/archive";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
                          Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dave1massey@cs.com";
                            target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dave1massey@cs.com</a><br>
                        target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"
                        moz-do-not-send="true">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
                      **</span><br>
                        href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
                        target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

                        href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";
                        target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
                        target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/dconnitt@fuse.net";
                        target="_blank" rel="noreferrer"

            ** <a href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
              rel="noreferrer"
moz-do-not-send="true">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
            **<br>
            Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";
              rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
              noreferrer" target="_blank"
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a

href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com";
              rel="noreferrer noreferrer" target="_blank"

moz-do-not-send="true">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/grglmn@gmail.com</a><br>
        <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";
moz-do-not-send="true">triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>  <a
class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://www.team.net/archive";
moz-do-not-send="true">http://www.team.net/archive</a>

</pre>
      <pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM. 505-352-1378 My World
go here: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="http://WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/";
moz-do-not-send="true">WWW.PORTERBIKES.COM/</a></pre>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>