Re: [TR] Overdrive solenoid fault TR2

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Overdrive solenoid fault TR2
From: <dunscomb@chch.planet.org.nz>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 17:51:33 +1300
Hi, I have a two part question re overdrive electrics on 'A' type overdrive
on my TR2.
I have just put the motor & gearbox back in my car after having extensive
bodywork renovations, and having the overdrive rebuilt.
My overdrive does not now engage when I pull the overdrive switch while
driving in top gear.

Part 1.
I have tested the wiring & relay and determined that with top gear engaged
and the overdrive switch on then I do have live 12v feed to the wire
entering the top of the overdrive solenoid. Therefore I believe the switch,
isolating switch on the gearbox top cover & relay are all working ok.
With the engine off but ignition on when I activate the overdrive switch and
watch the adjustment setting lever on the RH side of the overdrive (with the
3/16" hole for checking adjustment) this flicks forward, BUT when I check
that lever by hand I can easily pull it backwards with no resistance. This
would seem to indicate that the solenoid is faulty, i.e. the closing coil
winding is working but the holding coil winding would seem not to be
working. Conclusion I need a new solenoid?

Part 2.
I have carefully read my manuals, but nowhere do they document how to
replace this solenoid. It appears to be held in place by two cheese-headed
screws externally, and I obviously need to remove the inspection plate held
on by three cheese-headed screws to gain access to the actuating lever. Is
there any trick involved in how the relay actually pulls this lever and how
it is physically connected to it? I am also hoping that with the gearbox
cover removed there is enough room to do this without having to remove the
gearbox from the car? ( I have noted the correct procedure for setting the
operating lever via the 3/16" holes.)
All advice gratefully received.

Alan Dunscombe
TS3612