Re: [TR] Overdrive solenoid fault TR2

To: "dunscomb@chch.planet.org.nz" <dunscomb@chch.planet.org.nz>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Overdrive solenoid fault TR2
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 15:01:39 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_6133566_1798592241.1665154899993

 Actually, I think the Pull-in coil has failed.=C2=A0 Either that or the di=
sconnect switch contacts are no longer conducting.=C2=A0 It that part was w=
orking it would kick back in when you moved the lever away from fully retra=
cted.=C2=A0 And it is not.=C2=A0 Your description suggests the holding coil=
 is all that is working.=C2=A0 The pull in coil will pull the plunger into =
the solenoid if there is no resistance but once underway it needs to overco=
me the pressure of the oil in the accumulator and the pull-in coil does not=
 generate enough force to do that.=C2=A0 Either way you need a new coil.
Removing the solenoid is quite easy, as I recall - it's been years.=C2=A0 T=
he operating lever is a piece of flat steel that has been folded to create =
a hook with an open end.=C2=A0 The solenoid plunger has a reduced diameter =
distance with a shoulder on either end of the distance.=C2=A0 This reduced =
diameter distance fits into the hook. =C2=A0 Once you remove the cheese-hea=
d screws you can lift the solenoid and disengage it from the plunger and th=
en manipulate the plunger to disengage it from the hook.=C2=A0 It's that si=
mple.=C2=A0 Reassembly is the reverse of the above.

Cheers and good luck.
=20
Dave=20

=20