[TR] Thanks & follow-up - Spit bodied GT6 fuel gage issues

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Thanks & follow-up - Spit bodied GT6 fuel gage issues
From: aribert neumann <aribertn@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2022 23:05:43 -0400

--0000000000000dfa8005eae1c915

First thanks to Dave & Dave for the guess and confirmation that 67 ohm is
in the ball park for the sending unit.

Joel - thank you for the very informative fuel/temp gauge calibration
sheet.  Looking closely at my Smiths gauges, there are double dots at the
low, the midpoint and high - slight graphic variation but easy enough to
work with.   I swapped the leads from the fuel to the temp gauge and now
the temp gauge reads beyond full scale - that was a surprise!  Leads me to
believe that I do not have a gauge problem.   I was going to double check
the voltage at the gauge and sending unit.  I did not realise that I did
not have an analog voltmeter at home (could have brought one home from my
workshop garage today).   It is starting to look like a wiring or voltage
supply problem (even though the water temp gauge reads normal).

Thinking out loud - I don't have a variable DC voltage device.  If I were
to plug a DC output transformer (wall-wart, have plenty of those) into an
AC variac (have) I should be able to dial in a desired DC output voltage -
yes?

--0000000000000dfa8005eae1c915

tion=C2=A0that 67 ohm is in the ball park=C2=A0for the sending unit.=C2=A0=
ge calibration sheet.=C2=A0 Looking closely at my Smiths gauges, there are =
double dots at the low, the midpoint and high - slight graphic variation bu=
t easy enough to work with.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I swapped the leads from the fuel t=
o the temp gauge and now the temp gauge reads beyond=C2=A0full scale - that=
 was a surprise!=C2=A0 Leads me to believe that I do not have a gauge probl=
em.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I was going to double check the voltage at the gauge=C2=A0a=
nd sending=C2=A0unit.=C2=A0

I did not realise that I did not have an analog voltmeter at home (could ha=
ve brought one home from my workshop garage today).=C2=A0 =C2=A0It is start=
ing to look like a wiring or voltage supply problem (even though the water =
n&#39;t have a variable DC voltage device.=C2=A0 If I were to plug a DC out=
put transformer (wall-wart, have plenty of those) into an AC variac (have)=
=C2=A0I should be able to dial in a desired DC output voltage - yes?=C2=A0 =

--0000000000000dfa8005eae1c915--

--===============4514846278228208507==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============4514846278228208507==--