Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience - second

To: "aribertn@gmail.com" <aribertn@gmail.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience - second attempt, part 1
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 12:39:48 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2487775_1185661989.1679315988250

 It has been many years (< 25, I think) but I once rebuilt a TR6 transmissi=
on with a used mainshaft that had similar wear on a shoulder like that.=C2=
=A0 There was a thrust washer that fitted up against shoulder.=C2=A0 A few =
years later I was rebuilding it again.=C2=A0 The thrust washer had broken i=
nto parts.=C2=A0 My solution was to buy a new mainshaft (that is a story in=
 itself) along with some other parts.=C2=A0 25 years later that part is sti=
ll soldering on.=C2=A0 (I had to rebuild again for layshaft issues but that=
's unrelated)
I would be very reluctant to reuse that mainshaft.=C2=A0 The raised ridge i=
s not what worries me it is the fact that the edge of the grove is not squa=
re and the thrust applied by the helical gears will point load the split co=
llars and they will fail again.=C2=A0 The TR6 transmission si probably diff=
erent but the basic design is similar and the force loading is also similar=
.=C2=A0 Helical gears are sued to keep tooth noise down but the fact that t=
hey are wound in a helical manner around the axis means the forces applied =
to the gears is at an angle to that axis.=C2=A0 Part of that force is used =
to rotate the shaft but the other is applied to the bearings at either end =
of the transmission meaning the split collars in your case will take up tha=
t force as an interface between the shaft and the bearing inner race.=C2=A0=
 I don't have enough experience to say whether the transmission will last a=
 week, month, year or 10 years with that shaft but I would have much more c=
onfidence in a new, quality shaft.
=20
Dave=20

=20