Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience - 2nd at

To: "aribertn@gmail.com" <aribertn@gmail.com>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Calling anyone with transmission rebuilding experience - 2nd attempt, part2
From: DAVID MASSEY <dave1massey@cs.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2023 13:30:54 +0000 (UTC)

------=_Part_2506944_1570821156.1679319054462

 That looks like the heat treated, hardened=C2=A0 surface is starting to br=
eak up.=C2=A0 That is what happened to my layshaft.=C2=A0 Another reason to=
 abandon that mainshaft.=C2=A0 If you have an alternate bearing combination=
 that doesn't relay on that surface for the bearing rollers then the harden=
ed surface is no longer critical.=C2=A0 But this is above my pay grade.

BTW, I misinterpreted one of your previous photos.=C2=A0 The split washers =
transfer the lateral forces from the synchro hub to the mainshaft but the e=
nd result is the same, with a compromised groove surface like that the spli=
t collars will fail prematurely.=C2=A0=C2=A0 If you open the grove to clean=
 up the shoulder will the split washers stay in place?=C2=A0 If they fall o=
ut you have serious problems.=C2=A0 Even if they stay in place will it incr=
ease backlash?=C2=A0 Can you get oversized split collars?=C2=A0 Make shims?=
=C2=A0 All this is above my pay grade.
=20
Dave=20

=20