tvr

A shock to the system

To: tvr@autox.team.net
Subject: A shock to the system
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 02:56:37 -0800
Greetings,

I am looking for some pointers for replacing my rear shocks with the Spax
gas adjustable shocks I got from G. Bird. I have the rear wheels off and
the car on jack stands (not in that order). My guess at how to proceed is
to jack up the rear spindle a little to relax the tension of the spring,
then see if I can get the uppper and lower bolts out that hold the shock.
My main question is, do I need to buy or rent a spring compresser?  It
does not really seem like I need to.

Two rings came with the shocks, which G. Bird told me would require no
modification to put on the 2500M. I assume the cone shaped ring goes on
the top and the flatter one goes on the bottom, is that correct?

Does anyone have any recommendation for what setting to start off with on
the adjustable shocks (1 (soft) to 14 (hard)) are my choices. I like to
drive on windy mountain roads but I never race or autocross.

Since I have everything out of the way, I am also considering refreshing
the undercoating in the fiberglas wheelwells. Can anyone recommend a
procedure or product to use?

Thanks in advance,

Richard
1974 2500M