More musings on life, RACING and VARA!!!

To: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes), vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: More musings on life, RACING and VARA!!!
From: "Annis, Casey" <cannis@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 95 13:22:52 pst
     Well, I guess we all have found an exposed nerve here! I don't want to
     prolong the discussion any longer than necessary but I would like to
     clarify a few more points. Jim makes some very valid points that I
     agree with. However, I do feel it necessary to respond to some of the
     other points.
       First and foremost regrards VARA (which I am obviously very
     protective of!!). We enjoy racing our cars. What I meant by that
     comment was that a number of clubs seem to be gravitating towards the
     idea of a "kinetic display" or higher speed track tours. The whole
     idea of passing and racing is slowly being squeezed out of these
     clubs. I think most of us got involved with vintage racing because we
     love the older race cars and because we actually want to race them. It
     is VARA's philosophy that we can still race and enjoy these marvellous
     cars provided we use our heads and some simple common sense. And to be
     honest with you, it's working!! We field the most number of races with
     consistent fields over 200 cars. At least on the west coast people
     seem to like what we are doing and what we are about.
        As regards incidents, we started our internal crack down about 3
     years ago on driver misconduct (Perhaps after this fateful phoenix
     that Jim has spoken of!?!?). The result has been that we now enjoy fun
     filled, close racing with few if any incidents.
        While I partially agree with Jim, that the rare cars need to be
     preserved for posterity, I also believe it is a travesty to not race
     those cars! They ARE RACE CARS, they were built to race. A GT40
     sitting in some rich guys garage collecting dust is about as good as
     having the car not exist at all. Certainly extra care needs to be
     given when racing these treasures, but by all means race them!

     I would also like to clarify the fact that I was not mad or irritated
     with Jim for what he wrote. I can understand as someone just attending
     a race how he would have come to the conclusions he did. I just felt
     that it didn't really do fair justice to VARA which has worked long
     and hard to provide safe, fun weekends for its competitors. If it was
     taken as an attack, I apologize to Jim. If nothing else we all need to
     stick together.

     Sincerely,

     Casey Annis
     Club Secretary VARA
     1962 Triumph TR4
     1968 Lotus 51A
     and other various projects stored in rubbermaid totes.