Re: Handicap Racing

To: "Dr G W Owen" <ensgwo@bath.ac.uk>,
Subject: Re: Handicap Racing
From: <MorrisOxford@s054.aone.net.au>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 12:45:08 +1100
Handicaps races are used for all categories (there are 11 categories)
in Historics by HSRCA at all three of their New South Wales meetings.

Normal meeting format is Saturday morning official qualifying, followed
by one scratch race per category on Saturday afternoon.  Sunday morning
is one handicap race per category, followed by major scratch race per
category on Sunday afternoon.  Overall weekend runs 33 races in total -
good for spectators.

Our handicaps are slightly different in that we couldn't find enough
volunteers to provide a handicap team, so we now ask drivers to
nominate their lap time.  Cars are then started in batches, grouped by
similar times, slowest cars first.  Any driver who goes faster than
their nominated time is disqualified, people get better each race
meeting at nominating their times, and the first car across the line
wins.  Yes, it gets very busy - one tintop race there were 15 of us
within 50 yards as the winner took the flag (timekeepers hate it).

...regards....Andrew Pursey