London to Brighton

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: London to Brighton
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 96 21:02:33 pst
     Arriving at Heathrow after an eight hour flight from Los Angeles was
     actually not too bad.  My wife and I took the taxi to the Park Lane
     Hotel where many of the USA contingent stayed.  This Hotel was chosen
     for having a large parking structure near Hyde Park, where the Veteran
     Cars congregate prior to departure for the rally.

     The first Sunday of November (rain or shine) is dedicated to the
     running of the event.  Several days before the event the cars start
     arriving into London.  My father in law brought three cars this year
     from New Jersey.  An 1897 Fisson (the company only made four cars
     and this is the only one left), 1899 Haynes-Apperson (a U.S. built
     car) and a 1904 Rambler twin cylinder 16 H.P..  They came into London
     on a flat trailer and were unloaded in front of the hotel on Picadilly
     st.  The parking garage had dozens of these old cars lined up neatly
     side by side and front to back.  A very sweet site.  The next couple
     of days was spent cleaning, shining the brass, tightening up nuts and
     bolts and test driving on the street.

     Driving in London is an adventure in its own right let alone in a
     Veteran Car.  The best part about driving a Veteran car in London is
     the height advantage.  You can see over most cars easily and you are
     very visible to others.  Braking is always difficult and acceleration
     is out of the question.  Going to the gas station is a small adventure
     by itself.  For that matter any excursion is an adventure.

     The morning of the event day was very busy.  It was drizzling and
     about 48-50 degrees.  We had dressed for the occasion with rain gear
     and such.  These cars have no windscreen, roof or heater.  Picture
     this if you can.  Possibly 50 Veteran cars in a dark enclosed parking
     garage being hand cranked to get started (some start some don't).
     Once started the smoke spewed would make the EPA rather unhappy.
     And the oil they dribble is ...well ...slippery.

     We get our car started and jump in.  We drove  the most new car
     the '04 Rambler.  It has power and can even stop if given enough
     notice.  We drove in the rain to Hyde Park.  Our car number was 658.
     I'll repeat that 658.  Can you picture about 671 Veteran Cars all
     older than 1905 in one place and RUNNING.  It will not happen again.
     Many of these cars were taken out of hibernation from museums,
     collections and such and brought up to running order just for this
     day.  My Father in law drove the 1899 Haynes-Apperson (car #78).
     The '97 Fisson was driven by a friend.

     To be continued