London to Brighton

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: London to Brighton
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 96 21:11:03 pst
     By now you have heard various stories on the trials of the event.
     I recommend that you find and rent a video called "Genevieve"(sp.).
     This is a look at two friends preparing for the Rally
     during the mid 1950's.  It describes albeit somewhat unrealistically
     and quite comically the difficulties of the Rally.
     Part II

     The Fisson is a rather substantial piece of equipment.  To put things
     into perspective you need to remember that the carburator was not yet
     invented.  So how do you get an internal combustion engine to work?
     These early engineers were quite clever and ultimately resourscfull.
     They had built a small cylindrical tank about 8 inches in diameter and
     about 24 inches tall.  At the bottom of the tank they placed a small
     lever with a float attached to a fuel valve.  When the fuel level was
     about 1/2 to 1"  ( I think) the valve would shut off.  The rest of the
     cylinder was empty to allow the vapors of the fuel (hexane) to woft-up
     and exit the top through a pipe attached to the intake manifold.  To
     speed this process up (on a chilly day) the tank was pre-heated by a
     return from the exhaust manifold.  In order to start the process the
     cylinders (two) had to be primed and cranked over until it "popped"
     it would then turn over on the fuel available  and then stop.  This
     process was repeated several times until there was enough heat in the
     system to get the fuel to evaporate.  Then -Magic, the thing would run
     on its own.  Naturally, the air-fuel mixture is typically lean and
     throttle control is crude but the beast runs.

     It is very heavy for its size.  Nothing on it is thin or light.  It
     has a chassis that would pall anything on the road today.  It has a
     40 gallon water tank in the rear.  It uses an ANCHOR to stop from
     going backwards.  The driver can pull a lever and release a metal
     bar that falls to the ground and wedges itself onto the road if on
     a hill.  Turning on the total loss oil system lubricates the road.

     This car resembles the Mercedes of the same year.  They copied alot
     from each other.  One was more successful.  I would not want to drive
     this car.  It is very difficult to operate and thankfully built like a
     Sherman Tank- it needed to be with all the shaking and rattling it
     does.

     I can tell you that it did not finnish the rally.  It broke down for
     the final time just four miles from the finnish with a simple fuel
     starvation problem. It paraded through ignominiously on the back of a
     flat bed trailer into Bighton.

     The '99 Haynes-Apperson claimed to be the First American Car.  I'm not
     sure about that.  Yet it did start very in the Rally.  It left Hyde
     Park about 7:15 am in the drizzle.  It had no traffic to deal with
     and made past all the check points with flying colors.  It arrived in
     at the George Hotel Check point in Crawley by about 10:00am. (half way
     point).  It finnished on Madera Drive before Noon.  Avg. about 12
     miles/hr.

     NEXT -the Rambler fiasco.