Brighton run racers

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Brighton run racers
From: D.F.White@lboro.ac.uk (Dave White)
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 12:19:35 +0000
I was also driving in the Brighton run, car no 582, a 1904 8hp Cadillac. If you
havent driven one of these ancient cars then its quite difficult to describe
the experience.I have also this year circuit raced cars from the
teens,twenties, thirties, and sixties. All vastly different but in their
own way great fun.
  The entry list for the Brighton run ( a reliability trial really ) contained
six actual racing cars of the period in racing trim and a number of early
vehicles which had raced in their time but now with touring bodywork. I was
overtaken ( max speed 18mph ) by the 03 Napier and Mercedes sixty ( max speed
90mph) as if I was standing still ( I nearly was of course). It cannot be
believed by some that 18mph can be thrilling, however shall we say that
careering downhill at an increasing 5mph  and standing with full bodyweight
on the ineffectual single band brake mechanism ,overtaking someone
fortunate enough to be in control,  simultaneousely making room for an
overtaking car less able to stop than yourself, can be as exiting as I need
thankyou. With 680 entries
we were always surrounded at close quarters with other cars, drivers desperately
trying to come to terms with various alien controls their respective cars had.
 On the last hill before Brighton after 6 hours we caught car no 7 which
had started nearly two hours before us, all I had to do was to change to
low gear,
this meant steering, shutting power to the engine ( hand control) altering
timing ( hand control) removing high gear ( hand control) increasing power (
but not too much) altering timing, selecting foot operated low gear at
EXACTLY the right momentum ( the wrong momentum would dump the engine on the
road and the passengers in the hedge ) adjusting power control and timing to
suit the hill AND steer round car no 7 whos hill climb technique was for all
the crew to dismount whilst on the move and the driver driving as he walked
beside the car. The sea front at Brighton is a relieving and welcome sight
indeed, with hundreds and hundreds of steaming oily cars and as many steaming
oily drivers all recounting their problems, near misses and best moments.
   Just like a race meeting really only in a slightly different context.
      Dave White