Re: What is vintage racing

To: Jeremy Braithwaite <100240.2425@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: What is vintage racing
From: Ian Peters <ianp@camtech.com.au>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 10:12:52 +1030 (CST)
Jeremy wrote

> I think most of us online tend to use the american term 'Vintage" on the
> basis that most of the audience will not understand what we are talking
> about if we use 'Historic".  It's still a shame to see an exact definition
> being lost in this way.

Aren't the current proposed changes driven by the FIA dispensations under
which historic/vintage racing is conducted? As I understand it that is a
rolling 15 year old limit which represents the youngest car possible.
As we are all united(??) under the FIA banner this sets a global minimum.

As an example, in Australia many of the old FA cars are being sought after
because of the proposed class. These cars are being returned to their
original form and being "saved" In the US the cars are still being
modified to participate in current classes. Whether you think they
are historic/vintage/worthy/interesting now or not, when the time comes
that people see that period in a historical perspective who do you
think is going to have the cars?

Answer: New Zealand because they did it soonest and have been busily
buying up our FA cars. We are currently having to buy the rmaining
good cars from the US to make up for this.

Ian
69 Bowin P3FVA
81 Ralt RT4
and some Lotuses