London-Brighton 1997

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: London-Brighton 1997
From: "Dunst, Mordecai" <mdunst@smtplink.Coh.ORG>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 97 14:02:24 pst
     Just returned from the Brighton rally.  It was held Nov. 2nd.  Same
     place, same route, same everything except WE FINNISHED!
     This year we drove a 1902 Elmore. It has a two cylinder/two stroke 8hp
     engine with a tiller for a steering arm.  It resembles
     a curved-dash Olds runnabout.  Our other two entries included the
     1902 Knox (air cooled) and a 1899 Haynes-Apperson.  The Haynes did
     not make it past Crawley this year when the "gear-box" seized.  The
     Knox and the Elmore #'s 162 and 163 finnished side by side at the
     finnish line at about 1530 hrs (one hour to spare).  The Knox only
     had first gear functional and the Elmore could hardly keep the engine
     running because of lack of addequate spark on the plugs.  We limped
     in but we finnished.  57.7 miles in 7.5 hrs!

     The traffic was much better this year since only 450 +/- entries
     entered this year (vs. 680 last year).  The weather was VERY brisk
     and with the wind chil was much less than 32deg.  There was ice on the
     surrounding countryside ponds and pastures.

     Mordy