Re: Re: stock cars, etc.

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Re: stock cars, etc.
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:54:48 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jack,
        Sure it's easy to get them worked up - it's the offseason and they have
nothing better to do!  I have been known to post thoughts that I fully expect
will get someone riled up.  Actually, I rather enjoy occasional
rabble-rousing.  If you give them a race to prep for (with or without
historic stock cars), they tend to quiet down.
        My opinion?  Glad you asked.  I have no problem with Historic stock cars
(meaning Nascar style cars of any period, including recent cars) at SVRA
events:  1) - in the exhibition class at any event.  2) - as a special
featured group at a venue like Pocono (with the caveat that my track time is
not diminished as a result).  I have no problem with Historic stock cars at
any HSR event since HSR generally allows any vehicle with proper safety
equipment.
        Should they be mixed in with traditional SVRA groups?  Tough question.
 Since they won't be in Group 1, it doesn't directly impact me.  By the same
token, I would not want modern, obsolete SCCA cars injected into Group 1.
        I believe that SVRA has established a position as having fairly well
established, period authentic race groups.   I enjoy going to SVRA events and
knowing that my race group will be under 1300cc sports cars of a certain
vintage.  I also recognize that cars like FVs and D Sports Racers should be
accomodated and Group 1 is a good place for them.  I wouldn't want SVRA to
change it's policies and become more like HSR with a "run what your brung"
mentality.  I race at HSR events and often enjoy racing against a different
set of cars than I would see at an SVRA event.  (Like a mid 70's Honda Civic
- only time I get to race other Hondas!)
        I'm starting to ramble a bit here.  Last topic:  Rich guys vs. the rest
of
us and who needs who.  I wouldn't put it in the same words some others have
used, but I agree on the relative importance of the big rig crowd.  The truth
is, we are all dependant on the rest of the paddock.  Without the other
150-300 cars, group 1 (or 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8) would not be out there
having a good time.  The formula car guys could not do it without the
production racers and vice versa.  The Trans-Am owners could not do it
without the other production cars, etc.
        Every car in the paddock contributes to making that particular event a
vintage event.  Vintage racing would not be what it is without a few of the
mega-expensive and usually very exciting cars that arrive in the big rigs of
the very wealthy racers.  Personally, I have a lot of respect for the guys
who commit the tremendous amount of money and effort it takes to put some of
those expensive cars on the track.  By the same token, it would not be the
same without us "poor" guys going at it hammer and tongs with our "cheap"
little "disposable" small bore cars. (heavy sarcasm here as my car is no more
disposable or cheap to me then an vintage F1 car is to it's owner)
        Could we do it without the big rigs?  I think so, but it would not be
the
same.  Could they do it without us?  Probably (they are the rich guys,
right?) but again, it would not be what we know as vintage racing today.
        In the grand scheme of things, we're all pretty rich to have the
resources
to engage in such a frivolous hobby so we should quit making these social
class distinctions and have fun with our old toys.  Hell, one of the big
reasons we go to vintage events is that no one cares what we do 9-5 during
the week, we're all just a bunch of gearheads with a weekend pass to play
with race cars, right?
        Now I'm rambling and starting on philosophy of the 'Grand Scheme of
Things'.
 That's when I know it's time to sign off.

        Doug Meis, Team Escargot