1926 Chevy Speedster (race car?)

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: 1926 Chevy Speedster (race car?)
From: Steve Hammatt <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 13:04:31 -0800
I've gotten the photos on my disk drive of the car.  If anyone wants to
take a look, I'll e-mail them to each person direct.  There are 5 photos
in JPG format.  Let me know if you'd like the photos.

I recently bought this car and am trying to find out if there is any =

appreciable history.  It MAY have been a race car, but I'm not sure.
It may have been just a joy-rider on the street.  However, the wheels
are fitted with knock-offs (Dayton) and there is a mechanic's air pump
to keep pressure in the gas tank which, to me points the way to a
possible race car.  If anyone has any ideas or knowledge, I'd certainly
appreciate any help.  Depending upon what I discover, I'll either
restore it back to original condition, OR if there is no historical
significance, probably modify it to fit and use it as a "Speedster".
TIA
Steve Hammatt
shammatt@sos.net
Mount Vernon WA 98273 USA

SPEEDSTER INFO:

Year/model: 1926 race(?) car.
Nameplate: Shop-made aluminum nameplate (1/2" x 4-1/2") embossed with =

"FRIEDRICKENSHAFT SPE" and affixed to engine side of wooden firewall
Front spindles:  Cast mark: W-M-Co  1484K
Engine:  Cast mark: 346705  C46  (C46 is March 4, 1926) =

Stamped mark: 2462477
Radiator: Brass radiator.  Tagged:  "Manufactured by Maqo Radiator Co.
New London  Conn."
Starter:  Delco Remy Stamped mark: 1107056 G2?  Cast housing: Stamped
mark: H34  2KJ68
Rear axle:  Rather narrow design with central vertical split case,
torque tube design.  Stamped mark:  26940  Cast mark:  1  H26-H26
Bell housing:  Cast mark: 345418  11
Distributor:  Remy, Anderson, Indiana  Stamped mark:  Model 374A  Serial
411648
Wheels:  20" wire wheels with 6 pin-lock, split-rim design. Two "Dayton"
knock-offs with left-hand thread, two shop-made for driver=92s side.  4
wheels + spare.
Tires:  Goodyear 4.50/4.75/5.00 x 20 inch.
Front hubs:  Cast mark: 6368, "D" within a circle (Dayton?)
Transmission:  Assumed 3-speed Chevrolet of the era. Torque tube drive
line.
Brakes:  Hydraulic rear brakes only.  No hand brake.
Instrument panel:  Delco speedo/odometer; speedometer is horizontal-drum
style.  Misc. newer gauges.
Gas Tank:  Shop-made, all brass construction.
Dimensions:  83" wheelbase, approx. 64" tread.
Overall construction:  Generally crude construction, stock appearing
engine with 1926(?) Chevy single exhaust-port head.  Wheelbase may have
been shortened at a later date.

Prior owner:    Ted Krisher
                Marshall WI =

                =

Ted bought the car in 198? From ________ in Chicago.  It was sitting in
a garden shed for _____years.  Color was blueish white with orange
chassis and firewall.   No other history of the car is known.