Re: Movie cars

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Movie cars
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (Jim Isbell)
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 1997 10:44:18 -0700 (MST)
>Some years ago we were asked to supply one of our car or cars (of
>course, the nicest ones) for use in movie scenes. When we found out what
>they intended to do to the cars (pretty much trash 'em)  by "altering"
>them, mounting cameras, racing around, or bashing 'em, etc. it didn't
>sound so appealing, so we didn't. So much for fame! If anybody asks to
>make your car famous in the movies, I suggest find out their plans for
>it first!

As one in the movie industry (director, producer, actor and writer) I would
encourage you to always ask for MONEY.  Others in the movie industry may
think I am a traitor for saying this, but I am also a car collector and feel
you should know this.  Only in extreamly low budget movies (under $200,000)
would they not have the money to pay you, they plan it as part of their cost
projections.

Dont EVER let them have the car for free.  You are getting ripped off if you
do.  They have a budget to cover paying you and if you dont take it you are
just letting them put it in their pocket..  Same goes for anything you do in
a movie.  Being a FREE extra is a rip off.  You should get a MINIMUM of $75
a day (or any part of a day).  They have the budget, make them spend it.
After all they may make millions on this movie.

You should get  AT LEAST $100 a day for your car and an exotic (E-Type
Jaguar,  Bricklin, Ferrari, Formula car etc.) should get MUCH more.  Even
$1000 a day is not too much for a realy nice car.  But also get a WRITTEN
contract that says in part that they will restore the car to its orriginal
condition when done with it, at their expense, to your satisfaction.  I know
of one man who gets a new paint job (not a cheap one either) every time his
car is used just as a matter of course whether the car needs it or not.

If you drive the car in the movie, which you should insist on if its an
exotic, you should get $100 a day for just rolling it on and off the stage.
If you race it the price goes through the roof for the driver. Never let
anyone but yourself drive the car at speed.  They can have the "Star" do his
scenes in the car while its at rest.   You are the only one who knows the
car well enough to run it at speed and besides you might as well get the
$1000 or more the stunt man would get.
                                                                    Jim I. ,
Onboard "Millennium Falcon"

"Auto racing, bull fighting and mountain climbing are the only real sports.
All others are just games."  E. Hemingway---- J.Isbell adds "and sailing."