Re: Bugeye 1275cc Sprites

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net, mra@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Bugeye 1275cc Sprites
From: S800Racer@aol.com
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 18:23:17 -0500 (EST)
        I have to back up Jack Weorhle on SVRA keeping 1275 bugeyes out of SVRA
events.  (as it should be)  I recall a letter Tom Colby wrote to Victory lane
magazine to brag about how 'legal' his 1275 bugeye was.  Of course it was
bored to 1380cc and had enough steam to win the Mini-Sprite challenge that
year.  He was very proud of the accomplishment and went on about how there
was no fiberglass in his car.
        Now, Tom Colby is probably a really great guy and I have nothing
against him
(I've never met him).  I also gather he is a very good driver and his
accomplishment in engineering a winning car is something to be proud of.  But
1275cc Bugeyes were never legal for anything until lots of guys started
running them in vintage and some organizations decided to allow it.  It's
like 356's with 911 motors.  I'm sure that if I dropped a 1200cc motor from a
later Civic into my S800, I could run a lot faster.  (better yet, how about a
175 HP 900cc motorcycle engine?)  Oh, yeah, I could kick some butt and brag
about how 'legal' my all-steel bodied S800 is!!

        Rant for the day.
        Doug Meis
        Team Escargot           Happy Thanksgiving to all.