Re: making old cars faster/history

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: making old cars faster/history
From: hayes@mediaone.net
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:12:04 -0500
Well, we can't easily make them slower! (You can tell when the racing
slows down, because the 'philosophy' begins!)

I enjoy reading and participating in these discussions, since I actually
raced in the latter part of the time period we are recreating (spectator
58-64, racing 64-72) and was always trying to "read between the lines in
the rulebooks" to get the "unfair advantage" (thank you, Mark and
Roger!)
In addition, I actually run the same car as then, although in a
different (but period legal) configuration.
(the details are too long for a mail list, but if you are interested,
I'll email a them.)
I firmly believe that preparation should be "period preparation", not
rules to limit performance to enhance competition. Rules only lead to
cheating - they imply that you must not do something because it gives
you an unfair advantage over others - and then more strict rules. I
doubt that any of us spend enough time on the track that we can extract
95% of the performance of our cars  anyway!
--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm