Re: making old cars faster/history

To: hayes@mediaone.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: making old cars faster/history
From: Wrtr@aol.com
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 12:57:25 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-11-30 12:44:43 EST, hayes@mediaone.net writes:

<< I firmly believe that preparation should be "period preparation", not
 rules to limit performance to enhance competition. Rules only lead to
 cheating - they imply that you must not do something because it gives
 you an unfair advantage over others - and then more strict rules. I
 doubt that any of us spend enough time on the track that we can extract
 95% of the performance of our cars  anyway!
 --
 Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA >>

I guess, given the choice between too many rules, and no rules, I would
choose the latter. I do this whole vintage thing because I want to have fun
and maybe feel what it was like to drive an old car in the way it would have
been driven in its time. When I started this a long time ago, people would
show up with all many of and wonderful cars from the erly days. Most were
really slow, but really fun to watch, on the track and off. There aren't many
of these oddballs coming out anymore, they are too slow to race with anyone.
     The problem is, in the absense of any rules, cars are being evolved by
people who wish to race them, rather than experience them. I hate that! I
would rather choose than have these choices made for me. But its not much fun
to drive around ten seconds slower than the next slowest car, with nobody to
race with.
    Which brings to mind a question. If you modify your car too much using
modern technology, how do you judge your performance? If you are driving 5 or
10 seconds a lap faster than the real racers did when your car was being
raced, how do you judge how much of it is the car and how much is you?

Kevin Clemens
MGTD, 27 Chrysler Model 70