Aluminum interiors

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Aluminum interiors
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 19:30:14 -0500
I really enjoy reading everyone's opinions on the authenticity /
practicality / safety issue, for they all have a degree of validity and
reason.

I'm afraid I contributed to the start of this last debate, suggesting
that upholstered interior panels be replaced with aluminum ones, both
because of safety and because of allowable racing configuration
authenticity. I raced SCCA in the 60's, 70,'s, 80's and 90's.  My
recollection is that by the 70's, the SCCA required required removal of
flammable interior panels, and allowed replacement with non-flammable
panels. I suppose that someone could research the SCCA archives and
determine when this rule was implemented, but would anyone really enjoy
the cars or the sport more if we forced them to be more dangerous in a
fire? I personally have witnessed four fire situations in two years,
three of which were thankfully contained underhood (mine included).

There are many similar questions regarding authenticity that could be
posed. For example, is the use of headlight openings for venting
allowed? During the two years that I raced a TR3 decades ago, the SCCA
changed the rule from "no venting through headlight openings" to
"ducting allowed through headlight openings". I have photos of my car
both ways, both legal.

I'd suggest that we not get too serious about this kind of thing, for
that could lead to acrimonious debate regarding the year to which a car
is "period" prepared....and surely the hobby is not furthered by
promoting engine destruction...Personally, I remain thankful for the
good sense shown by most vintage sanctioning bodies who welcome cars
prepared in the proper spirit...

--
uncle jack the carfrek
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer