determining correct ignition timing

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: determining correct ignition timing
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 08:34:45 -0400
Does anybody know the "proper" way to determine what the correct ignition
timing is on a given engine?

My Martin 1865cc engine is an unknown quantity as far as timing is
concerned.  When we dyno'd it, we got it to run well at 36 - 37 deg. BTDC at
full advance, but on the weekend I found some documentation in the files
that came with the car that called out timing of 47 deg BTDC.  Since the
engine had a power peak of 135 hp at 5800 rpm on our dyno (with 37 deg
advance), and the original manufacturer (Ted Martin) claimed quite a bit
higher power, at up to 7500 rpm, AND since Mr Martin also noted that the
burn quality of the combustion chamber was less than optimal, I wonder if
the high ignition advance of 47 deg was used to compensate for slow burn
characteristics in the chamber, and get a better power output at higher rpms?

Any engineers/technoids out there care to comment?  Other details are A-6
cam, 10.5:1 compression, 85mm bore by 82mm stroke in a Ford 120E block.

What I'm wondering is if I get the ignition to far advanced, on the dyno,
will the power fall off before I burn down the engine, or will I be able to
tell (from what indicators) that I've gone too far?  Same for on-track
tuning - how do I tell when the ignition timing is close to optimum?

Thanks, and I really hope I get some good ideas from the crowd.

Brian