Re: determining correct ignition timing

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: determining correct ignition timing
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 22:31:00 -0700
"A good quality Air / fuel mixture meter will also help determine the
best air fuel ratio and timing."

That raises a good point, the (chassis) dyno shop I am about to try,
won't hook up his O2 sensor, since I use 110 octane leaded gas and his
O2 sensor costs $900 to replace and leaded gas "poisons" the catalytic
action of the sensor metals.  Its possible that I could use less than
110 octane, though at 12:1 compression, it seems unwise to experiment.

Seems logical to should switch valve seats for unleaded gas next time I
get a major cyclinder job overhaul, then I can use an O2 sensor and dial
my mixture in on the dyno.

Anyone care to comment on octane availability of unleaded gas at track,
or any other unleaded snags I dont know about.