MSD rev limiter

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MSD rev limiter
From: Malcolm Cox <malcox@napanet.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 17:48:20 -0700
Thanks for those who offered advice, thought folks would like to know
how it turned out.

I bought MSD "soft touch" rev limiter for about $65 from Summit Racing.
This is rev-limiter only, not the more expensive and comprehensive and
non-vintage electronic ignition.

I am using points/coil ignition.  Unit installed easily.  Hard to test
at home, don't want to stand on it in neutral to see what happens at
6000 rpm.  I need not have worried, it worked perfectly on the track.
Even though it clearly states that solid ignition wires MUST NOT be
used, I couldnt find 6mm wound core wires in time so used the old solid
core wires, seems to work fine anyway.

My initial rev limit was 6000, later increased to 6200 rpm after just
over-revving in top (seems many folks use MSD and have spare chips in
their junk boxes).

The only problem I had was biological in nature.  On several occasions,
I had this mysterious misfire that cropped up around 6000 RPM.  Took a
while to DUH that it was the rev limiter, limiting!

Haven't missed a shift yet, so dont know if it will hold back a 3
cylinder engine flat out in neutral, seems unlikely.  We'll see.