RE: Accusump

To: "'Malcolm Cox'" <malcox@napanet.net>,
Subject: RE: Accusump
From: "Gerald Brazil" <gerrybraz@voyager.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 23:06:30 -0400
I use a 2 qt on my Sprite and have it in the passengers seat area. It may be
superstition, but I wouldn't race without it.

If you are finding bearing flakes in your oil I am afraid you have something
not assembled right. That is not just "dry" starting. Think about it. You
dry start your Daily Driver how many times a day? It goes for how many
thousands of miles with out requiring a rebuild?

There are some things to consider about location. If you insist on mounting
it under the hood, be sure you have a remote gauge so you can see the
pressure. Also, you need to have a good system for controlling the valve. I
don't like the electric solenoids because they are either open or shut.
There are times when you need to control how the oil is going out and coming
back.

For example, when I get ready to start my engine I crack the valve slightly
and wait until I see at least 30 lbs. on my oil pressure gauge then I shut
the valve and start the engine. This way, if the engine doesn't start
immediately, I haven't dumped too much oil.  After the engine is running and
up to pressure I slowly open the valve and let things stabilize.

When the canister is empty, like on an initial fill, after an oil change or
after you have spun out, killed the engine and can't get it to restart
before it dumped all two quarts in the pan,,,, then you need to close the
valve, start the engine and after you have full pressure, crack the valve
slightly and let the canister fill slowly. If you opened it wide immediately
you would be putting all of your first 2 qts. of oil in the canister and not
leaving enough for your engine. It sort of defeats the purpose of the
Accusump.

There are my thoughts. Let's see what other people have to say.

GJB