RE: Elkhart Lake

To: team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: RE: Elkhart Lake
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 12:25:19 -0500
Gary Speckman wrote:

> The #55 TT Bugeye took one lap on Saturday mornings practice session,
and it
> was obvious something was wrong . . . I had another good engine back
home,
> 2 1/2 hours away..so I . . . left the car in the capable hands of my
son Brad, and the
> TT pit crew.(anyone walking past who could be coerciced to help with
the
> promise of a brat....later) who, while I drove back home to get the
other engine,
> pulled the engine out of the Bugeye.
>
> Got back to the track about 5 pm . . . Transfered what we had to from
one engine
> to the other one (clutch, various oil cooler fittings, etc) and threw
it in the Bug.
> This without a hoist..etc..just a jack handle and chain and a couple
of
> strong guys (well, one strong guy,.. and me).

What Gary modestly omits to mention is that while this engine removal,
procurement and re-installation was going on, the Thickos and their
entourage still managed to entertain and feed everyone who dropped by,
well into the late evening.

While Gary and the "one strong guy" were wrestling that replacement
engine into place, even known Triumph aficionados and other gadflies
were being treated to hors d'oevres, Sheboygan's finest sausage and
assorted libations.

My thanks to Gary & The Other Thickos (possible rock band name?) for
making a great Fall Festival even better.

Jim Hill
SpyderWeb Vintage Racing
Madison WI