Re: magnesium care & painting questions

To: Daniel Thompson <dthompson@gbc.ca>
Subject: Re: magnesium care & painting questions
From: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 19:41:53 -0400
Hmmm. Seems like I send this message every year.
A racing friend of mine is a metallurgist who used to investigate
airplane engine failures for GE and is now working for a QC company. He
is adamant that 60s era mag wheels should be used for show - not go.
Reasoning:
1. Poor quality (esp voids) of much of the 60s magnesium castings.
2. Susceptibility to corrosion, most of which will be hidden.
3. Unknown history means unable to determine how much stress they have
undergone - and they can undergo only so much.
4. They were never intended for the stress of modern tire compounds.
His advice: buy new (like repros) for race, show with the old mags.
I trust his advice - and I've written off a carcaused by metal fatigue.
Jim