Re: Rod Kennedy/Winkleman's Stories

To: lotus.tony@airmail.net, owner-vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net,
Subject: Re: Rod Kennedy/Winkleman's Stories
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 18:14:40 EDT
In a message dated 10/9/98 8:52:48 PM, lotus.tony@airmail.net wrote:

>I don't know Winkelman but I've heard good stories.  I _can_ speak for the
>
>fact that he had at least one outstandingly cool dealer:  Rod Kennedy in
>
>Texas.  Rod's main enterprise was a sports car oriented nightspot called the
>
>"Checkered Flag" in downtown Austin.  All in the same building and in more
>
>or less connected areas, there was a restuarant, live country and folk music
>
>nightclub/bar, and a sport car "museum" which might be showing a Jim Hall
>
>Chaparral, a '35 Maseratti Formula car, an RS Porsche and a Birdcage
>
>Maseratti.

He had a great collection and put on some of the first vintage races I
remember seeing (in the 1970s) at the Austin races. He had at one time:
Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa (pontoon fender)
Ferrari 860 Monza (ex-Gonzalez)
Ferrari 250 SWB California (ex-Von Neuman Sebring car)
Jaguar D-Type
Porsche RSK
Maserati long-tail Birdcage
Maserati 4CLT F-1 car
Bandini
MG-TC (ex-Shelby)
MG-TA
Morgan SS Trike
and a number of Lancias and Winkelmans (he was a dealer for both)
Quite a collection!
Harold Pace