re: Logbook - thanks

To: "'Vintage Racer'" <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: re: Logbook - thanks
From: "Shawn Loseke" <SLoseke@vines.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 99 14:04:12 -0700
Generally, when an external switch is asked for, or required. It is to be
outside of the car. It is a switch that the corner workers and other safety
personnel are to easily find and operate. After an accident, the driver
might not be conscious enough (if at all) to operate the switch. If it is
inside the vehicle, the safety workers might not be able to access the
switch. There-by endangering their lives as well as the drivers. In most
accidents that the switch might have to thrown (or turned). The objective
of the safety workers is to get the driver out, not put more people inside
the car to look for an electrical cut off switch.

Shawn Loseke
-------------
Original Text
From: "Brinkmann, Gerardo V" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>, on
1/6/99 11:38 AM:
Thanks to all who responded concerning my question regarding logbooks.
Yes I do need a logbook and usually it gets issued at the first event when

present the car for tech.

I was trying to avoid turning up at my first event
with a car that has not been through tech - finding out something trivial
is
wrong with the car and basically wasting the week-end.

        It has happened before. Went with a friend several years ago
        to a race, spent 12 hours towing the car, arrived at tech with no
        log-book and could not get the car through tech because the battery
cut-off switch
        was not in a clearly visible location (which I thought was ludicrous
        because it depends on the definition of "clearly visible location").
The switch
        had been installed on the trans tunnel within easy reach of the
driver - nothing
        in the rule book said that it clearly visible from the OUTSIDE of
the car.

        If I read the HSR rules of the web it says

         "External Electrical Cut-Off Switch. The battery must be solidly
mounted with the positive terminal covered.

Does even mention that a cut-off switch needs to be installed !!!!!!

What I'll do is contact the SCCA in the north-east as they have a strong
vintage program and
take my car over to a local tech inspector who can issue the log book
beforehand.

Once agan thanks to all
gerry