Roller rockers, etc

To: pkrause@ibm.net
Subject: Roller rockers, etc
From: "Edwin Smith" <EHSMITH@us.oracle.com>
Date: 18 Jan 99 16:06:17 -0800
Peter:  Your message is right on!!!  I have 3 vintage cars, all period prepped,
2 with period history.  Two are productions cars and one is a FJr.  There are 3
orgs to run with in N. Calif.; HMSA, CSRG and SCCA vintage.  I prefer to run
with other period correct cars as the playing field is more level.  It also
makes more sense to build a production car to period specs as it's usually
cheaper and can run anywhere.  This also makes it easier to sell the car.  I
think drivers are figuring this out.

I have run with all three of these orgs but prefer to run with HMSA as the cars
seem to be scrutinized more closely.  CSRG is good but their tech guys can't
seem to distingush a 289 Ford block from a 351, nor a 350 Chevy from a 327.
They don't realize that those extra tall valve covers usually conceal roller
rockers.....if they do, they don't police their rules......or Maybe like Jack
W., they've just gotten tired of chasing the cheaters.  If they just threw 'em
the f**k out until they conformed to the rules, or at least made a notation in
their log book that they can't run again until the car conforms then we'd be
going a long way towards making the rules enforceable.  I think you need to
toss out the offenders or toss out the rulebook.

This year I'll maintain my CSRG membership and may run a race or two, but am
putting HMSA events at the top of my schedule.  I'm a bit frustrated with rules
not being enforced in CSRG so I'll drop my priority to run their events.  HMSA
has added two more club races so I'll schedule them as my first priority.

I used to run SCCA vintage.  They have more of run what ya brung perspective so
I expected to see over prepped cars at the event.  They were trying to increase
participation and had a reputation for running a bit loose so they insisted
they would enforce the 13/13 rule and tighten things up.  Well, I was involved
in an incident with contact and damage and it became clear that they were
reluctant to enforce their rule so I won't run with them and will happily
broadcast why I don't run there anymore.  I'll still drive the occasional SCCA
Pro race but vintage gets no more of my dinero......

So, you race organizers and tech directors out there.....take heed.....as long
as there are other places to run, your drivers will vote with their feets...and
go elsewhere for their yah-yahs.....

Ted Smith