Roller rocker posting for fellow racer

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Roller rocker posting for fellow racer
From: PaceCars@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 00:05:07 EST
Note: this is posted for a friend who could not post to net. Not my opinion...
don't flame me (this time, anyway). HP

>Harold...

I would appreciate it if you could repost to the vintage-race list since I do
not have access from this address...

Roller rockers are not a performance advantage for A series motors.  What
roller rockers do is give you longer valve guide life, due to less side thrust
on the valves.  Roller rockers are noticeably heavier than non-rollers, so if
you want to run high revs, non-rollers are probably superior.  Many of the
fast guys in SCCA run non-rollers (Comptune sells his own version of
non-rollers) due to less valve train mass.  Additionally, non-rollers cause
some mushrooming to the top fo the valve and the rocker tips wear much quicker
than rollers causing the need for rocker replacement.  I have run both, and I
find it is cheaper in the long run to run rollers due to less valve guide,
valve and rocker wear.

Jim Fuerstenberg