Re: Roller rockers, HMSA etc

To: EHSMITH@us.oracle.com
Subject: Re: Roller rockers, HMSA etc
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 12:47:06 EST
Ted (et al);

I'm planning to go to the VARA Banquet this Sat.  I hope to bring back info on
what the lastest is.  As you know, VARA lost two board members this year, who
died unexpectedly.  That, on top of other recent problems (Palm Springs,
WIllow Springs) they have is casting some shadows over their future.

The story I heard regarding races at Willow Springs is a dispute with the
track over who's fire/rescue people they must use.  When at Willow, the track
dictates their own contractors.  VARA board members had some problems with
them, such as fire/emergency personnel who wore only shorts/t-shirts at events
(how could they be prepared to deal with a fire emergency?).  And one board
member had a problem at an event and went to their EMT people.  THey diagnosed
him with gas, or something like that and said just rest for a while, and then
you'll be fine to race.  He then went to his doctor who put him in the
hospital with much more serious heart problems.....So, the end result was that
VARA and Willow got into a pissing contest on contractors....VARA insisted on
using their own, and Willow stood firm...VARA didn't book any dates.....then a
splinter group formed and booked some dates there independently.

Of course the whole situation with the Palm Springs promoter going bust didn't
help their credibility either.  I hear they're trying to do Ponona
again???...don't have any info on this.

Losing Cris to HMSA is also a blow, Cris was a voice of reason, in my opinion.
He certainly helped everything to run smoothly.  I have lots of respect for
what he did while at VARA.  Haven't heard who, if anyone, has replaced him.

I'm sure the incoming Board has lots to deal with and will obviously want to
resolve these issues and keep VARA as a viable vintage racing organization.

Regards,
Myles