Roll Cages

To: "'Vintage Race List'" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Roll Cages
From: Douglas Wilson <dwilson@engassoc.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 19:08:09 -0500
Occasionally I run my vintage racer with the local SCCA Solo I guys. They
require an SCCA roll cage and due to some new regs I'm told that my cage will
not make the grade so I may have the beast rebarred. The SCCA book list a
number of acceptable sizes and type of approved material. Does anyone know the
weight per foot of mild steel (DOM) :1.375x.095, 1.5x.095, 1.5x.120 and 4130
:1.375x.080, 1.375x.095 ?

Has anyone had any experience welding 4130 or using it as a roll cage. It was
my understanding that it was more brittle than mild steel ?

Thanks
Doug Wilson