Re: Help from VARACV

To: Jim Hayes <hayes@mediaone.net>
Subject: Re: Help from VARACV
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 09:34:57 -0500
I passed on some info yesterday, but here it is again.  I'm a member of the
VARAC eligability commitee (Historic Sports Racers), and I'd be glad to
help.  My home number is 905 628 6771, call me in the evenings.  larry
Barcza is the Historic Production rep.

The rules are in the VARAC web site,  VARAC.ca

In essence, if a car is identical in terms of both technical and visual
presentation and specification, to a model that was available in our time
period, then the car can be "grandfathered".  So a 1975 Alfa may be eligable
to run as a 1972.  It would have to be prepared to 1972 standards, and not
1975.  The owner would have to provide documentation to support his claims
to the satisfaction of the VARAC commitee.

We wouldn't normally allow a car that was produced with a 1300cc engine to
run with a 1750 engine, unless (perhaps, not for sure!) the larger engine
was available as a factory option in the year of manufacture of the car.  So
an 1970 Alfa Junior was available only with a 1300 engine in 1970, then
that's what it has to run with.  Exceptions can be made.  One example that I
can imagine is that if a specific car (that exact car, not one just like it)
can be documented as having raced in significant races (like Trans AM series
races) in a particular configuration, we would probably say that the
historical significance of the race history outweighed the normal rules.

We generally let Historic cars get away with more leeway in terms of
preparation.  Most often they are prepared to the series rules of the YOM in
whatever series they would have run in as new.  So a 1967 Mustang would
normally be prepared to 1967 TransAm rules.  But the owner could decide to
prepare it to 1967 A-sedan SCCA, or 1967 CASC rules, or to 1967 European
spec rules, and so on, as long as they stuck to one set of rules and didn't
"mix and match" the best of each.  Also, we expect period technology on the
cars.  If (as an example that I know is wrong) the car came with a 289 Chevy
engine because the 327 hadn't been produced in the YOM, then it can't run a
327, it has to run a 289.  You have to run period brakes, you can't bolt on
the latest Nascar calipers, and so on.  We don't require period race history
for production based cars, but we do for purpose built race cars.

I hope this helps a bit.

brian