rear susp alignment

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: rear susp alignment
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:39:43 -0500
My Merlyn sports racer has the typical small formula car rear suspension
setup.  It has twin parallel trailing arms, reversed lower A-arm, and upper
link.  my question is what effect will castor of the suspension upright have
on handling?
You can measure the castor by putting a level on the outer part of the lower
A-arm.  You can adjust it by changing the relative lengths of the trailing
arms.  Any clue as to what positive or negative castor will do to the
handling?  A setup guide for the Merlyn Mk11 suggest setting it to zero, but
why?

Brian