re : How others see us

To: RobPecori@email.msn.com, racing@porschelist.org,
Subject: re : How others see us
From: AnalogMike@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 11:49:45 EST
"Rob Pecori" <RobPecori@email.msn.com> wrote :

>> PCA's image problem goes further than just SCCA vs. PCA.  I recently
attended an instructor clinic sponsored by the Vintage Motorsports Council,
which is a grouping of leaders from various vintage groups, HSR, SVRA etc..
As a PCA instructor I took much grief from the others.  Some of it was good
natured, but the prevailing view was that PCA drivers are crazy,
unqualified, snobby, idiots.  Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed
what the vintage community thinks of us? <<

I agree that the vintage community is not friendly to Porsches, but I don't
think
it is for those reasons. Rather I feel that the long time vintage
people are afraid of change - they want to keep the history of old
mostly British cars and other 50s and earlier cars going, and see Porsches
later than 356s as a threat. There are just too many
Porsches running on the tracks and they don't want us to dominate.

Many people in their 30s and younger would rather see
and drive cars from the golden era from the mid 60s to early 70s -
the Boss Mustangs, 911RS(R)s, Can Am cars, etc, although
50s and earlier race cars like the Ferraris, Maseratis, Lotuses, etc are
interesting to us younger folks too. A Porsche 911 makes a lot of sense
as they can be raced for years and years with very low maintenance
and you don't have to worry about reliability during race weekends.
All parts are easily available from the factory or aftermarket
and the cars can be worked on by anyone.

I think people need to have an open mind, as "vintage" cars are getting
newer every year, there should be room for everyone and no fear that
old cars will be obsoleted - that's what vintage racing is all about!

Just wait, someday vintage racing rules will have to deal with
aftermarket chips that were not period authentic!! (hopefully
we'll all be dead by then...).

Regards, mike piera  AnalogMike@aol.com  '72 911S Targa, '73 911"RS"

http://members.tripod.com/~analogman/glen5050.htm - vintage racing stuff

 ~^v^~ aNaLoG.MaN ~^v^~  vintage guitars   www.analogman.com