Re: Vintage formula ford questions

To: Mike Henry <mhenry@uswest.net>
Subject: Re: Vintage formula ford questions
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 09:11:17 -0500

>I think most vintage FF brake rotors are getting rare to impossible to
find, and
>you will want to find some "friendly" pads unless you have a stash of rotors. I
>used the Hawk "black" pads (blue wore the rotors pretty bad) with really good
>results compared to the old DS11, and had a lot more luck balancing and getting
>consistent results compared to street pads.

I run a Merlyn Mk6 sportsracer, which is pretty similar to a Mk 11 series
fford, albeit with Girling AR and NR racing calipers.  The discs I'm using
are  Triumph Spitfire, which are easily available.   The discs that came on
the fronts were slightly larger in diameter (9.625" as compared to just over
9" for the Spitfire discs) and had a slightly deeper bell, and we couldn't
find matches for them.  We had one set, which we used on the rears, and I
made up adaptors to run the Triumph discs on the front.  I use Hawk Black
pads too, and find them just fine, but take a long time to heat up and
actually work, compare to some setups I've run.

Brian