Tow Vehicles

To: "Vintage Race List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tow Vehicles
From: "A. Sta. Maria" <abstamaria@syciplaw.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 16:41:33 -0000
I have been using a single-axle open trailer for the last two years to tow
either a TR4 or a Lotus to the track.  I wanted to shift to a closed trailer
to protect the car during the long drives to the circuit, but none are
available here.

Some months ago, I bought a reconditioned Isuzu truck with a 14' bed and
what they call "flat-low" wheels:  that is, it has small (13") rear wheels
so that the truck bed is flat (no wheel arches) and only 24" high.  It has
an enclosed body.  The problem is how to get the car into the track, since
the low ground clearance of the race cars require long, heavy ramps that are
difficult to assemble.  I was hoping that there would be an easier-to-use
alternative to ramps.

Does anyone on the List have any suggestions?  Would a hydraulic lift (like
they ones on big enclosed trailers) be an alternative?  Can they be fitted
to a small truck? Does anyone have a source for them?

Many thanks in advance, and regards,

Andres
Manila