Re: Tow Vehicles

To: "A. Sta. Maria" <abstamaria@syciplaw.com>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicles
From: Derek Harling <derek.lola@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 09:32:05 -0400
A. Sta. Maria wrote:

> I have been using a single-axle open trailer for the last two years to tow
> either a TR4 or a Lotus to the track.  I wanted to shift to a closed trailer
> to protect the car during the long drives to the circuit, but none are
> available here.
>
> Some months ago, I bought a reconditioned Isuzu truck with a 14' bed and
> what they call "flat-low" wheels:  that is, it has small (13") rear wheels
> so that the truck bed is flat (no wheel arches) and only 24" high.  It has
> an enclosed body.  The problem is how to get the car into the track, since
> the low ground clearance of the race cars require long, heavy ramps that are
> difficult to assemble.  I was hoping that there would be an easier-to-use
> alternative to ramps.
>
> Does anyone on the List have any suggestions?  Would a hydraulic lift (like
> they ones on big enclosed trailers) be an alternative?  Can they be fitted
> to a small truck? Does anyone have a source for them?
>
> Many thanks in advance, and regards,
>
> Andres
> Manila

Andres

"Big Rig" hydraulic lifts would  be too heavy for you. Many people here
with "medium" sized enclosed trailers with two or more levels of cars
use internal "ramps" lifted on electric winches.

You could use a modified version of this. Lay the ramps on the ground
behind your truck; drive or push the car on to the ramps; lift the truck
end with two electric winches; attach the ramps to the truck bed [1/2"
pivot bar?].

At this stage getting the car inside the truck is still a problen but
there seems to be three choices -
 - 1 - have internal ramps at a similar angle, leaves lots of storage
space underneath
 - 2 - have the ramps themselves "roll" inside the truck with two more
winches at the front, the ramps would pivot level at a certain stage
 - 3 - have a means of lifting the rear of the ramps to the truck bed
level, this could be the existing winches reconnected to the rear but at
an angle [make sure the light end of the car is at the rear] -or-
hydraulic jacks -or- several strong friends -etc-.

I thought about all this with my old trailer - but then took the easy
way out and bought a beavertail trailer. So all the above is theory.

Final thought - just seen a dumpster truck outside the office. The
garbage skips are lifted up with pivotted arms. Maybe you could work on
that principle. Pivot some vertical arms at the rear of the truck bed
and control them with winches at the front. The arms would then pivot
"out and down" to pick up the car. Might even be able to do this without
"ramps" under the wheels.

Design it all to Lotus standards and it wouldn't be too heavy.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Derek