Re: 2 cents on Oil, and more

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: 2 cents on Oil, and more
From: RodsINTOMG@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:05:16 EDT

<<
 So, while there's no debate that synthetic will hold up to higher temps,
last
 longer before breaking down, and provide 1 or 2% more power from reduced
 frictional losses, I still can't justify the cost based on the fact that I
 believe changing it OFTEN is the best insurance to keeping the engine
 together. >>

Myles,

Funny, I have just the oposite opinion on synthetic oil.  Ive often heard the
argument that most wear takes place at engine start-up.  My 1988 Chevy
pickup, 11 years old and 146,000 miles runs as good as the day I bought it.
Organic oil (and filter) changed every 3,000 miles.  I have no doubt I can
take the motor to 200,000 miles without any work.  However,  my MGB racer
after 11 race meetings with a junk-yard motor no less on synthetic oil
(Amsoil 20/50), changed once a year (I have a modified 2 gallon sump) is
still alive and well.  I'm sure that given the problem all MGs have with cams
and lifters that the synthetic is the only reason the MG motor survived.  I'm
not right, you're not wrong, just a different perspective given our own
experiences.

Rod Schweiger
'64 MGB Sebring Coupe