Re: benefits of synthetic oil?

To: Pete Towell <rtowell@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: benefits of synthetic oil?
From: mike <mikerosen@home.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 23:35:48 -0400
Just to throw in my two cents...
two points - I raced a mini for 10 years before my current car and  I
think the oil story is different with a Mini than any other car you
might race.
1... The engine and gearbox share the oil so any bits off one get into
the other, more than enough to back up Myles point about changing after
every event regardless of miles raced.  (compare cost of 4 L of oil and
a filter to either event entry or engine re-build cost).
2... I can't prove this one but we always used to mumble about the gears
in the box shearing apart the structure of synth. oil - which is why no
one ran it...but as well, the cost of synthethic oil didn't work with
point 1,  oil change after every event.

But just to play the devil's advocate, when my kid's raced 4 stroke
karts, we always used red line 2 stroke oil because it was thinnest and
caused the least friction.... but we changed it AFTER EVERY SESSION ON
THE TRACK... so 4 or 5 times a day.

My two cents

Mike Rosen