Re: Nardi wood rimmed steering wheels

To: Jimmysmth@aol.com, cfchrist@earthlink.net, rebjrmd@ix.netcom.com,
Subject: Re: Nardi wood rimmed steering wheels
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:44:21 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/00 8:00:13 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Jimmysmth@aol.com writes:

<< Some race clubs do not permit wood rimmed wheels.   I believe SVRA is one
 which does not.

 Jim

Jim ?

This is simply not true! Where do you folks come up with these ideas? It
never ceases to amaize me how people have so many misconceived notions about
SVRA rules.

Having said that, we (SVRA) like and encourage wood rimed steering wheels
where they are appropriate. Any period piece of equipment that helps to
create the vintage appearance of a car is welcome. Anyone who lived through
that era knows that a wood wheel was standard on the high end cars and that
every wanna be and boy racer that could afford it put one on his car.  The
Nardi wheels were probably the most popular of these.

The Nardi and a few others have a 360 degree, one piece aluminum center
section to which the wood rim and hub are pinned or bolted. There are some
problems with some of the Nardi knock-offs and more recently made wheels.
They do not have the 360 degree rim. The metal spokes terminate at the end
and are encapsulated in laminated wood or plastic. These can be lethal in an
accident and these are the ones we don't like. Whenever we see one at tech,
we RECOMMEND that it be replaced. We have never to my knowlege told someone
they couldn't race with one. SCCA has however, not allowed them for quite a
while.

I hope this clears up one more "myth" about the much maligned and misquoted
SVRA rules.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA Technical Director