Re: Rear Axles/TR4

To: N197TR4@cs.com, owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Rear Axles/TR4
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 15:37:10 -0400
Shot peening is the process that will improve the performance of the axles
from a crack perspective.  If you were making a new slot, then you might be
able to have it milled or ground with a radius, but the existing slot would
be hard to modify without making it oversize.  Good news is shot peening is
cheap, and can also help the splines, and the rest of the axle too.

One thing that I always say about crack checking - it only tells you that
there are no cracks now - you could get a crack five minutes after you put
the thing in a car!  Also, you don't see cracks that are under the surface
unless you xray.  I prefer the idea of getting full floating ends grafted
onto the axle housing - hot rod  and circle track shops do this all the time.

Brian

At 02:11 PM 08/10/2000 -0400, N197TR4@cs.com wrote:
>The loss of North America's most photgraphed TR4 gets my attention.
>
>I was going to pull axles before next race for scheduled crack check anyway.
>But I have another question, in the meantime.
>
>Since the sharp corners of the milled slot is the place that there is an
>apparent crack propagation...do you suppose there is a way of putting a
>slight radius in this area to reduce the stress rise?
>
>No stupid questions at this point, I'd say. Perhaps this one is borderline,
>but I dont care. I saw the in car video and heard Tony's words after the TR4
>stopped in the kitty litter...."well, this sucks"...as only Tony could say
>them.
>
>Joe Alexander
>TR4 #197

Brian Evans