Re: TR-4A: Wheel extenders, magnafluxing

To: John Cowan <jfcowan@pacbell.net>, vintage-race@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: TR-4A: Wheel extenders, magnafluxing
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:42:27 -0400
I always used shim plates to get the best offset, making sure that the
wheel studs have lots of engagement.  Modern wheels use a registration
spigot on the hub that centers the wheel, and the best spacers duplicate
this - but I never bothered to make such a set, just saw them in a
catalog.  any decent machine shop can magnaflux parts.

Brian

At 02:57 AM 08/14/2000 -0400, John Cowan wrote:
>      I have two questions regarding setting up the suspension of my TR-4A,
>which I'm trying to get ready for use at driving school and track days.
>
>1. The front wheels are mounted on 1/8 " extenders in order for the
>minilite replica wheels to clear the brake calipers.  (I'm running them
>with P185 SR 65 tires).  Also, I've traced a growling noise when I change
>lanes to the rear tires rubbing against the leaf springs.  Extenders would
>be the quick fix for this problem.  Are 1/8 " wheel extenders a safety
>issue, since they obviously increase the stress on the suspension components.
>
>2. When I have the front end rebuilt, I'd like to have the vertical links,
>the stub axles and the hubs magnafluxed.  What kind of shop does this work?
>
>      Thanks.
>   John Cowan
>
>      Forward this review to a friend.  To subscribe, send email to:
>jfcowan@pacbell.net.  Check out previous reviews at:
>http://home.pacbell.net/jfcowan

Brian Evans
Director, Strategic Accounts