video cameras

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: video cameras
From: "Kerry Seibert" <ckchapel@fast.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:07:46 -0400
With apologies for being a bit off the normal track . . . . . does anyone
feel like commenting and giving advice about in-car video cameras?  I
started out with a real cheapie, a JVC VHSC (on sale about $250), and was
pleased with the quality, good color, minimal "bounce", etc.  I use the I/O
Port 3-way adjustable mount mounted on the diagonal of my rollbar with a
piece of inner tube as a cushion.  This is an open car.  Unfortunately this
camera got comprehensibly ruined during the Monday monsoon at Lime Rock last
Labor Day.  I thought I'd be a "smart guy" and upgrade the replacement
camera to a Panasonic Palmcorder (still VHSC) of about the same size/weight.
I'm not happy with the results.  I don't think the color is as good and the
new camera is very susceptible to bouncing and vibration, even seeming to
"pitch" under heavy braking and kissing the curbing.  One thing that may be
affecting it is tire pressure?  I used to run Goodyears at 20 psi.  My size
(5.00 - 15) is NLA so I now use Dunlops at 25 psi.  I have since added a
rubber washer at each point where my diagonal meets the main hoop but I've
haven't been able to test the results yet.  I plan to make up a chart to
experiment with different settings etc., but in the meantime, for you camera
buffs out there, what are some of your recommendations as far as image
stabilization (on or off?), manual or auto focus?, shutter speed?, etc.

I originally thought these videos were a good way to bore friends and get
rid of unwelcome guests/relatives but in fact they are a pretty good tool
for reviewing tracks, lines, etc.  As a bonus, they ARE a pretty good way to
bore (non-car) friends and get rid of unwelcome guests/relatives . . . .

Cheers, Craig Seibert     1968 Morgan +8      car no. 611     "Duff Morgan
Racing"