Re: 350 for towing old or new....makes a diff

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 350 for towing old or new....makes a diff
From: "Tom Crain" <tomcrain@gulftel.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:32:45 -0500
Have an 81 Suburbanc-20 with facotry 13,000 lb tow package & big block The
tow package means that everything but the frame is 1ton stuff..... 2" bigger
brakes than 3/4 tons, driveshaft, springs shocks, shackles, everything.
There is NO body lean when you meet a semi at 75 mph on a 2 lane road.  It
rides better today than a new 1/2 ton in that respect.  Gas mileage versus
350's in that era of suburbans is about the same.  I do 11-12 in town 14-15
on the highway empty.  Pulling.... If ya gotta ask ya prolly can't affor da
gas.

If you're looking at late model stuff...... a friend of mine pulls a 7000 lb
load with a 99 crew cab C3500 single rear wheel long bed pickup with a 350
small block.  WIth trailer he says around 9-11.  Without he claims 18 mpg
overall.

After all these years the old suburb is retiring.....   Since the C-3500s
are all supposed to be duallies, I'm ordering a new 2001 C2500 crew cab with
a small block and all the heavy duty suspension/cooling/etc I can get.  If
it lasts half as long as my Suburban has it'll take me past the age of towin
anythin.