Re: 2 cent parts

To: <APSF1@aol.com>, <S800Racer@aol.com>, <simon@mondes.com>
Subject: Re: 2 cent parts
From: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:17:14 -0400
We towed our Lotus Eleven from Ohio out to Monterey in '95, then had it die
mysteriously on the way to tech. Pushed it through tech and finally got it
running very poorly to get back to our paddock. Geof Heller suggested checking
behind the dash and although I never found a loose connection, I loosened and
retightened all the original screw connections back there and the car
responded. Been running great ever since so a connection must have corroded, I
suppose at least until this year at the VIR reunion it backfired and quit
coming out of oak tree. That turned out to be one of the screws holding the
points plate in the distributor vibrated all the way out and shorted against
the points spring. I was sure glad I found this on the Sunday morning warm up,
so I was able to race in the afternoon.

Roger

>>> <S800Racer@aol.com> 08/23/00 03:20PM >>>
    After setting the fastest time in my group in practice, I had a
transmission problem.  I took the car home (2 hrs away), pulled the motor,
replaced the tranny and put it all back together and went back to the track.
The next day, I charged from the back of the grid to 3rd on the first lap and
then the tranny stuck in 4th gear.  Arrgh!  Turns out the replacement was
missing two small screws under a guide plate beneath the shift lever,
allowing the lever to jump over a notch and hang up.  A rare opportunity to
contend for overall honors went down the tubes for want of those two little
screws.

    Doug Meis