Re: TR10 ? You bet.

To: "Baltimore Knife & Sword Co." <racecar@baltimoreknife.com>,
Subject: Re: TR10 ? You bet.
From: "clark@dnf.com" <clark@dnf.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:19:23 -0800
Hi All,

In 1962, my grandfather gave in to my grandmother's complaints about wind
and inconvenience and traded his fairly new TR2 on a Triumph Model 10 Wagon
(sometimes referred to as a "Standard" Wagon).  Throughout my childhood, I
remember him driving me around in that two-toned British racing green/white
station wagon at blistering speeds of around 20 miles per hour.  He'd
complain as youngsters drove around him to pass on two lane city streets:
"what's their hurry".  Seems to me we'd top out at 45 on the freeway.

He also had a flask under the driver's seat, but I don't think it was stock
to the TR.  We never went anywhere during "rush hour" which was between 4:30
and 5:30PM.  If you know anything about the Silicon Valley, you'd know that
the freeway can be nearly full as late as 10:00PM and as early the following
morning at 5:30AM.  So much for "rush hour" for us "laid back Californians".

My grandfather died in December 1980, within a week of John Lennon's
assassination.  His TR 10 wagon still sits on four, flat, 78 series, white
sidewall tires that well have been installed by the dealer to make it look
more 'merican.  I believe it has an original 32,000 miles on it.

I recently saw a Standard Wagon at the British Meet in Palo Alto.  I also
remember one at the vintage races at Pomona in 1996.  Other than that, I
look forward to any info anyone comes up with about this model.

If you have any California racing programs from 1958 - 1960, you'll almost
always find an ad highlighting these cars.

Best,

Clark

"Hay Bales and Asphalt"  A film about sports car racing, 1958 - 1961
http://dnf.com/dnf.html/DarnNeatFilm.html