Re: Disassembling old engine - 50wt oil 30+years old

To: milano164@mediaone.net, alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Disassembling old engine - 50wt oil 30+years old
From: HealeyRic2@aol.com
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 20:24:09 EST
In a message dated 12/27/00 7:53:00 AM, milano164@mediaone.net writes:

<<Does anybody know of an easy way to get components free on an old engine
with oil that is 30+ years old.   It was running a racing oil which now
is like "Indian Shelac".  It has turned to tar.

I recall some old Brit-car mechanics swearing by a soak in a molasses bath.
You might try this, noting the caution to remove aluminium parts:

Frankie Flathead: 10/26/2000 - 1/1/1900 7:53:25 PM
RE: unsticking a flatty Engine
What about soaking the mill in a molasses/water mixture bath. This also
dissolves rust like you wouldnt believe. Just strip oil
pan/intake/timing cover and remove as many parts as possible. Do not
leave any Aluminium parts on the engine. Then degrease the block as best
as possible so that the mix is not contaminated. I had a very rusty 8BA
that I left in a plastic tub of molasses for 2 1/2 weeks. When removed
and hosed off, the engine looked like it had just come out of the
foundry and the water jackets were clean enough to eat off !! You can
also use the molasses bath to derust other project components Finally,
the used molasses are also environmentally friendly and will do plants
good if poured into the garden!! What else could you ask for !

Sopp: 10/26/2000 - 1/1/1900 10:40:38 PM
RE: unsticking a flatty
Engine
What`s the mix ratio of mo` to H2O? This sounds like something I just
might try.

Jim Marlett: 10/26/2000 - 1/1/1900 10:49:09 PM
RE: unsticking a flatty
Engine
After posting that rather large string of other people`s posts, it is
worth mentioning that Red Hamilton of Red`s Headers soaks his flatheads
in a barrel of #2(?) diesel before disassembly. I`m sorry I don`t know
anything about diesel fuel, but #2 seems to be what I recall. That trick
is a little bit beyond my tinkering capacity, but if you`ve got the
space and can deal with the waste...

Frankie Flathead: 10/27/2000 - 1/1/1900 4:16:24 AM
RE: unsticking a flatty
Engine
Sopp, The ratio I used is 1 part molasses to 4 parts water. Pour in your
molasses first, then pour in hot water to dissolve the thick syrupy
molasses. If ya got seriously rusted stuff, make the mix a little
stronger ie: 3 parts water. Lastly, I Just emptied my drum after using
this stuff for over a year, so it works for quite a while!! After a
while, it also has a tendency to get a bit whiffy so stash the
drum/barrel in a corner of the backyard away from the back door!!!

Return to Index Page