Ford Escort RS2000 gear box

To: Vintage <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ford Escort RS2000 gear box
From: Phil Roettjer <Phil.Roettjer@quantum.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2000 13:26:23 -0800
I am in the process of dissembling a Ford Escort RS2000 gearbox and it is
not coming apart as expected. This trani has an aluminum extension casing
that supports the primary shaft and also houses the gearchange selector rod.
I have removed the four bolts that secure this casing and have attempted to
remove it from the main shaft. I only have one diagram of this gearbox and
it appears that the rear main bearing is housed in this aluminum casing. So
I have tried to get it released from the casing by wedging the casing
against the main gearbox body and then tapping the main shaft forward with a
copper faced hammer. However nothing appears to be releasing. I am hesitant
to proceed with my hit and miss approach until I get my hands on either a
manual or some experienced advice.

If anyone has any experience with this trani please send me a note and I can
expand upon my dilemma. I believe this gearbox is used in the Caterham 7 and
also in the early Lotus Elans.

Thanks,
Phil